Gethsemane and Golgotha — Don Fortner
(Tune: #361—Sweet Hour of Prayer—LMD)
1. Come, let us worship Christ our God. Behold, our Savior sweating blood!
Behold His heartfelt agony, alone in dark Gethsemane!
Gethsemane (the olive press), the place of Jesus’ deep distress!
“Father, Thy will, not mine, be done!” in agony cried God’s dear Son.
2. Here Christ, the Lord of life appears. The God-man, now, is crushed with fears!
But why, dear Savior, tell me why the sweat, and blood, and mournful cries?
“My holy Soul,” comes the reply, “must be made sin, accursed, and die
That you, beloved, be justified, made free from sin, and never die.”
3. O love of Christ! How great! How good! O wondrous, precious love of God!
Its length, and breadth, and depth, and height, are lost to my adoring sight!
In love for me the Son of God arose and went to shed His blood.
Upon the cross He died for me, my sin-atoning Surety.
4. Yes, in Gethsemane He took, and there began to sip the cup
Of sin and wrath divine for me; but on He went to Calvary.
And on Golgotha’s cursed tree He drank damnation dry for me!
Justice He fully satisfied; and by His death I’m justified.
5. “Finished!” Triumphantly, He cried, in rev’rence bowed His head and died.
His people He had come to save; and now salvation full we have!
Finished the curse! Finished our sins! Our Savior righteousness brought in!
He Who for us was once made sin, makes us God’s righteousness in Him!