“YOUR OWN SALVATION”
No description of salvation can be found that is sweeter, more delightful, comforting, or more satisfying to our souls than that which is found in Philippians 2:12. Here the Spirit of God declares to believing sinners that God’s eternal, great, everlasting salvation is “your own salvation”.
I like that! If you are saved, the salvation you have is “your own salvation”. God devised it for you. Christ purchased it for you. The Holy Spirit brought it to you and wrought it in you. It is yours forever! If you trust the Lord Jesus Christ, all that is included in that word “salvation” is your personal property and possession forever! It belongs to you by the gift of the grace of God!
Here is an admonition. -- “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” That does not mean, “Work that you might be saved”. It means, “Work outwardly what God has worked inwardly” (Phil. 2:1-5; Matt. 5:16; Tit. 3:8, 14). Here is an assurance. -- “For it is God which worketh in you both to will (to desire) and to do of his good pleasure!” “Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it” (1 Thess. 5:24).
If you are saved, the salvation God has wrought in you is “your own salvation”. Look at what the Holy Spirit reveals to you, if you are a believer, about “your own salvation” in Ephesians 1:12-14. Here we read that it is the purpose of God…
“That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.”
There are five things clearly taught in these three verses about your salvation and mine. Believer, child of God, your salvation is…
1. A Salvation Designed For Divine Praise -- “That we should be to the praise of his glory.”
2. A Salvation Based Upon A Divine Trust -- That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.”
3. A Salvation Obtained And Enjoyed By A Divine Gift -- “In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation.”
4. A Salvation Secured By A Divine Seal -- “In whom also, after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise.”
5. A Salvation Assured By A Divine Pledge -- “Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.”
Grace Baptist Church of Danville - Grace For Today Radio Message #834
2734 Old Stanford Road - Danville, Kentucky 40422-9438
Donald S. Fortner, Pastor -Telephone 859-236-8235 - Email email@example.com