“THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE”
"And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the LORD: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart.” -- Jeremiah 24:7
Be sure you understand these five facts. Apart from them you cannot understand the Word of God or the works of God.
1. There are some men and women in this world whom God has chosen to salvation from eternity, who must and shall be saved (John 15:16; 2 Thess. 2:13). There is a multitude, scattered among the fallen sons of Adam, in every age, in every nation who must be saved. The number of God’s select is so great that no man can calculate it, though it always appears as only a remnant at any given time. The number is unalterably fixed by God. All the elect must be saved. Nothing can prevent their salvation. God’s very Being demands it.
2. The Lord Jesus Christ has made atonement for the sins of God’s elect and redeemed them from the curse of the law by his own precious blood (Gal. 3:13). Contrary to popular opinion, Christ did not die for all men. He refused to even pray for all men (John 17:9, 20). All his work was and is for his elect alone. To say otherwise is to declare that his work, his atonement, his intercession, all his work as the sinner’s Substitute was and is futile, meaningless, and vain. The death of Christ was for his particular, chosen, elect people (Isa. 53:8; John 10:11) for the satisfaction of justice on their behalf.
3. All God’s elect, having been redeemed by the blood of Christ, shall be called from death to life by the irresistible power and almighty grace of God the Holy Spirit (Gal. 3:13-14; Psa. 65:4; 110:3). Repentance toward God, faith in Christ, and eternal life are the results of the Spirit’s call. Theses are things effectually wrought in God’s elect (not offered to them) by his almighty grace.
4. The means by which God’s elect are born again, called, and given faith in Christ is the preaching of the gospel (Rom. 10:17; Heb. 4:12; James 1:18; I Pet. 1:23-25). “It pleased God, by the foolishness of preaching, to save them that believe.” “Of his own will begat he us with the Word of truth.”
5. And there is specific day appointed by God in which each of his elect will be called to life and faith in Christ by the gospel (Psa. 110:3; Ezek. 16:68). God will see to it that the sinner whom he has chosen will be in the place he has ordained, with his heart thoroughly prepared to receive the gospel, at the appointed time. And he will send his Word to that sinner by a preacher in the irresistible power and grace of the Holy Spirit. In that day, God says, regarding every chosen, redeemed sinner, “They shall be my people.” AMEN.
Grace Baptist Church of Danville - Grace For Today Radio Message #814
2734 Old Stanford Road - Danville, Kentucky 40422-9438
Donald S. Fortner, Pastor -Telephone 606-236-8235 - Email firstname.lastname@example.org