"THE VERY HAIRS OF YOUR
HEAD ARE ALL NUMBERED"
With these words our Lord Jesus Christ assures us that none of God's elect shall ever be in any real danger or suffer any real harm, for we are under the special care and protection of God himself. I see six things in this sentence, which are a constant source of peace and encouragement to me.
l. THE BLESSED FACT OF DIVINE PREDESTINATION - The text might be better translated "the very hairs of your head have all been numbered." Before the world began, our heavenly Father counted up and ordained the number of hairs that were to be upon your head at this very moment! This is meticulous predestination. What does it tell us? God's sovereign purpose of grace in predestination includes all that we do and experience.
2. A COMFORTING ASSURANCE OF DIVINE PROVIDENCE - The primary intent of the text is to show us our Father's constant rule of all things. The sparrow cannot fall to the ground, and a hair cannot fall from your head, without your Father's eternal decree in predestination and his direction in providence.
3. OUR HEAVENLY FATHER'S DIVINE KNOWLEDGE OF ALL THINGS CONCERNING US - Our God, who predestinated all things and rules all things, knows all things. We are so well known by God that he has even numbered the hairs of our heads. "Your Father knoweth." We need no other comfort. The Lord's knowledge of us is constant and entire. His knowledge of us is the knowledge of a tender, sympathetic Father.
4. OUR FATHER'S CONSTANT, DIVINE CARE - He who takes the trouble to number the hairs of our heads must surely care for us. We are the apple of his eye. Cast all your care upon him. "He careth for you!"
5. THE HONOR AND DIVINE ESTEEM WHICH GOD HAS FOR US - God has numbered our hairs because he values them. He holds us in honor and esteem above all the people of the world because of his gracious purpose toward us in Christ (Isa. 43:3-5; 1 John 4:9-11).
6. THE PROMISE OF DIVINE PROTECTION - The hairs of our head are all numbered because our God intends that, "There shall not an hair of your head perish." Trials are certain. Temptations are sure. Tribulations are constant in this world. But there is no cause for fear - "The very hairs of your head are all numbered!"
Grace Baptist Church of Danville - Grace For Today Radio Message #776
2734 Old Stanford Road - Danville, Kentucky 40422-9438
Donald S. Fortner, Pastor -Telephone 606-236-8235 - Email email@example.com