January 1 Today’s Reading: Genesis 1 – 3
“In the Beginning God”
In the opening chapters of the Inspired Volume we are given the seed of all divine truth. The opening words of the Book of God declare that which is essential to the understanding of all things: — “In the beginning God.” All things have their origin in the Lord God himself, the Triune Jehovah.
1. In the beginning God created all things. — When he was done he rested from his works, keeping the first sabbath and showing us the meaning of the sabbath of faith. We rest from our works, trusting Christ alone as our Savior.
2. In the creation, ruin and restoration of the natural creation, we are given a picture of grace and salvation. — As the earth was created, became a ruin and was restored by the moving of God’s Spirit upon the face of the deep, so we (originally created in the image of God and then ruined by the sin and fall of our father Adam) are restored in Christ and made new by the sovereign operations of God the Holy Spirit.
3. In the creation of Adam, we have a picture and type of Christ, the second Adam (Romans 5:14).
4. In the creation of Eve, we are shown the purpose for and origin of God’s church. — As Eve was taken out of Adam and made for him, so the church of God was born from Christ the second Adam, and was made for him.
5. In the fall, we see a picture of Christ’s love for his church. — As Adam, because of his love for Eve, plunged himself into sin, death and condemnation, so Christ, because of his love for us, plunged himself into sin, death and condemnation as our Substitute, under the wrath of God.
6. In Genesis 3:9, the offended God seeks the offending sinner to show him mercy.
7. In Genesis 3:15, God himself preached the first gospel sermon to needy sinners.
8. In the kids slain to make a covering for Adam and Eve, we see redemption and righteousness by the sacrifice of Christ the Lamb of God.
As we begin a new year, let us carry through the day, through the year and through all the days of our lives the comfort of this blessed fact: — “All things are of God.” As all things have their beginning with the will, purpose, and decree of our heavenly Father, so all things are brought to pass by the wise, unerring hand of his good providence, and shall ultimately bring forth everlasting praise to him. — “Of him, through him, and to him are all things.”
Yet, there is more. — “All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” All that has been, is and shall hereafter be is brought to pass by our God for the everlasting good of his elect. Let us find in this blessed truth comfort for every sorrow, strength to endure every trial, courage to face every foe and joy to lighten the load of our daily pilgrimage through this world. Let these things inspire our hearts to heed the admonition of 1 Thessalonians 5:18. — “In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”
Listen to sermons at FreeGraceRadio.com