Grace Baptist Church of Danville
September 26, 2010
Divine election is the source and cause of all spiritual blessedness. Without election there would be no redemption, no regeneration, no effectual call and no faith in Christ. All the sons of Adam would forever perish. — Thank God for sovereign, free, eternal electing love!
á I am scheduled to preach Friday-Sunday (October 1-3) for Robert Street Baptist Church, Lower Gornal, Dudley, England, where Bro. Norman Wheeler is pastor — Telephone: 01144-1902332934. I am scheduled to preach at BALLYMONEY TOWN HALL, Ballymoney, Northern Ireland, Monday - Tuesday (October 4-5). Contact: Russell Smyth — Telephone: 028-276-69105.
CHURCH CLEANING IN OCTOBER: Billy & Jayalita McCormack
NURSERY DUTY THIS WEEK
Today: ShanteŐ Birchum (AM) Celeste Peterson (PM) Tuesday: Debbie Bartley
Come, Sing Of GodŐs Electing Love — Don Fortner
(Tune: The Doxology -- LM)
1. Come, sing of GodŐs electing love
And His eternal purpose good.
Let sinners saved by sovŐreign grace
Lift heart and voice in praise to God.
2. Before the angels sang His praise,
Before God made the earth or sun,
He chose the people He would save
And gave them to His darling Son.
3. Without condition we must meet,
GodŐs choice most sovŐreign, wise and good,
Was fixed by free, eternal love.
He loved us just because He would.
4. Nothing in heaven, earth, or hell
Can alter GodŐs most wise decree.
Each chosen sinner shall be saved,
And shall at last GodŐs glory see!
5. Immutable, His purpose stands,
Immortal as it is sublime!
GodŐs justice, mercy, truth and grace
United make salvation mine!
What does the Bible teach about election?
ŇEven so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.Ó (Romans 11:5)
There is absolutely no question about the fact that the Bible teaches the blessed gospel doctrine of GodŐs sovereign, eternal election of some to salvation before the world began. Those who say, ŇThe Bible does not teach the doctrine of electionÓ are either totally ignorant of the Bible or utterly dishonest. Just read the Word of God (Psalm 65:4; John 15:16; Romans 8:28-30; 9:8-23; Ephesians 1:3-6; 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14).
I repeat: — There is no question that the Bible teaches this God honoring, soul-cheering, gospel doctrine of election. The only question to be answered is this: — What does the Bible teach about election? Here are eleven things expressly taught in the Word of God about election.
1. In Christ — Election is in Christ. No less than fourteen times in the first fourteen verses of Ephesians chapter one the Holy Spirit expressly tells us that every benefit and blessing of grace, that comes to sinners from God, is in Christ, — Ňaccording as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world.Ó
2. Unto Salvation — Election is unto salvation. Certainly, there is a sense in which it must be said that GodŐs elect were saved from eternity (Romans 8:29); but we must never be deceived into thinking that election is salvation. Election is unto salvation. Election is not, as some teach, unto ŇChristian service.Ó Election is unto salvation. — ŇGod hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation.Ó
3. Divine Sovereignty — Election is an act of pure, absolute, divine sovereignty. God has mercy on whom he will have mercy (Romans 9:11-18). God was not moved by anything outside himself to choose the people he chose to save. — If you belong to God, it is Ňbecause the Lord loved youÓ that he chose you, redeemed you, and called you.
4. Eternal — Election took place in eternity. God did not choose his people in time, but before time began in eternity. He chose us before the foundation of the world, from the beginning, when nothing existed except God himself in the tri-unity of the eternal Godhead.
5. Love — The source and cause of election is GodŐs eternal love for his people. He loved us freely, from everlasting, before ever the earth was made. Our love to him is not the cause of his love toward us, but the result (Jeremiah 31:3; 1 John 4:19).
6. Unconditional — GodŐs election was an act of free, unconditional grace. Grace is always free and unconditional. The moment a condition is put to
to it, it ceases to be grace. To say that God chose us because of something he foresaw in us, or foresaw we would choose to do is to frustrate the grace of God, making it the reward of our work (Romans 11:6).
7. Personal — Election is GodŐs personal choice of specific sinners to eternal life in Christ. Here is a sweet cordial of grace, which shall never cease to amaze and rejoice the hearts of believing sinners: — The Lord God chose me to eternal salvation in Christ, because he loved me with an everlasting, unconditional love!
8. Irreversible — Election is irreversible. ŇThe gifts and callings of God are without repentanceÓ (Romans 11:29). Those who were chosen to salvation in eternity shall not be unchosen in time! Our God is immutable. Because he changes not, his chosen shall never cease to be the objects of his grace.
9. Effectual — Election is effectual. There is no possibility that one of GodŐs elect shall perish (2 Timothy 2:19). All who were chosen in eternity were redeemed at Calvary, shall be called in time, and shall be preserved unto heavenly glory in Christ.
10. Distinguishing — Election is distinguishing. To talk of universal love in God toward reprobate men is to talk nonsense. Read Isaiah 43:1-4! Election made an eternal, unalterable distinction among men. Goats will never become sheep; and sheep will never become goats. The elect shall never become reprobate; and the reprobate shall never become elect.
11. Blessed — Election is blessed, for it is the cause of all blessedness (Psalm 65:4; Ephesians 1:3-6). Election is not a hard doctrine, but a blessed doctrine. Those who deny GodŐs election preach a terribly hard doctrine. — They blasphemously assert that there is nothing sure and certain about GodŐs grace and GodŐs salvation. Indeed, if (as all will worshippers declare) everything hinges upon the will of man, no promise of God can be trusted!
The Grace Bulletin
September 26, 2010
Grace Baptist Church of Danville
2734 Old Stanford Road-Danville, Kentucky 40422-9438
Telephone (859) 236-8235 - E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Donald S. Fortner, Pastor
Schedule of Regular Services
10:00 A.M. Bible Classes
10:30 A.M. Morning Worship Service
6:30 P.M. Evening Worship Service
7:30 P.M. Mid-Week Worship Service
Television Broadcasts in Danville
Channel 6 - Sunday Morning 8:00 A.M.
Channel 6 - Wednesday Evening 6:00 P.M.
Channel 6 - Friday Evening 7:00 P.M.
Television Broadcasts in Harrodsburg
Channel 6 - Sunday Afternoon 3:00 P.M.
Channel 6 - Friday Evening 6:00 P.M.
Listen to sermons at FreeGraceRadio.com