Our Lord Jesus Christ, when he had finished all the work which his Father gave him to do upon the earth as our Substitute, Surety, and Mediator, “sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high!” Let me show you something about what that means. Here are seven reasons why the Lord Jesus Christ, the God-man, our Mediator and Substitute sat down upon the throne of grace, on the right hand of the Majesty on high.
1. He sat down because his work was finished (John 19:30; Rom. 8:33-34; Heb. 10:10-14).
2. He sat down because God the Father accepted his sacrifice as our sin-atoning Substitute (Isa. 53:10-11).
The Lord God sees of the travail of his soul and is satisfied. The law and justice of God, the righteousness and truth of God, the holiness and purity of God cannot demand more than Christ paid for the sins of his people! Now, God can be and is, both just and the Justifier of all who believe on his dear Son. He is both “a just God and a Savior”.
3. The Lord Jesus Christ sat down in heaven, as our great High Priest upon the throne of grace, because he is now, as the God-man our Mediator, the sovereign Monarch of all the universe (John 17:2; Rom. 14:9).
4. The Lord Jesus took his place in glory, at the right hand of the Majesty on high, because this Man is himself God.
The throne of God is his throne! He was given this place as a man; but it was always his as God; and he took it. He “sat down”, as the God-man, our Savior!
5. The Lord Jesus Christ sat down upon the right hand of God, as the Representative and Forerunner of his people (Heb. 6:20; 1 John 2:1-3).
Yonder, in Glory Land, upon the very throne of God is a Man, A Man who is himself God, who incessantly pleads our cause with the Father. Because our Forerunner is there, we soon shall be.
6. The Lord Jesus Christ sat down in heaven, because he has now opened the way for sinners to come to God (Heb. 10:19-22).
7. The Lord Jesus sat down in heaven as a mighty Victor, a Conqueror whose enemies shall never rise again, whose enemies must and shall be put under his feet (Phil. 2:8-11).
Because Christ sat down in glory, as the mighty Captain of our salvation, our salvation is a matter of certainty. We are now more than conquerors in him (Rom. 8:28-39).