Membership in a local church involves voluntary, personal commitment, obligation, and responsibility. When men and women unite with the family of God, without force or constraint, they voluntarily place themselves under obligation, just as Christ did as our Surety in the covenant of grace (Isa. 50:5-7), just as husbands and wives do by their marriage vows. There are some things we are bound to do,both because of our love for Christ and one another and our responsibility to Christ and one another (Read Rom.12,14, and I Cor. 12).
When we united with the
1. PROMOTE AND MAINTAIN THE PUBLIC WORSHIP OF GOD: The great object of God's church in this world is worship. Everything done by the local church must be designed to promote worship and devotion. If I would do my part to promote the worship of God where I live the church of which I am a member must have my regular attendance, an interest in my prayers, and my financial support.
2. DO WHATEVER WE CAN FOR THE FURTHERANCE OF THE GOSPEL: Not all can, or should, preach. But all can, and must serve. All can give. All can sweep, dust, paint, clean, and mow. Every member must do what he can to relieve God's servants of mundane tasks, so that they may freely preach the gospel. Someone has to keep things going! Why not you? Why not me?
3. SEEK BY EVERY MEANS GOD HAS GIVEN US THE COMFORT, GROWTH, AND EDIFICATION OF OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN CHRIST: We are to care for, help, and strengthen one another. We are to bear one another's burdens, especially giving our attention to the young, the weak, and the needy members of God's family.
4. LIVE CIRCUMSPECTLY IN THIS WORLD: Never forget who you are, whose you are, and whom you represent. In all our words and deeds, and especially in attitude, let us seek the honor of Christ, the gospel, and God's family.
5. SEEK AND PROMOTE THE GLORY OF GOD: Whatever we do, in word or
in deed, all is to be done for the glory of God. Let this be our motive and
rule, and we will serve well the