"He Is Able!"
The Lord our God is the God of omnipotent ability. His ability is absolute. His power is unlimited. He can do anything he wills. Omnipotence knows no obstacles. Whatever is required to accomplish the purposes and promises of God, "HE IS ABLE" to perform. Those three words, are used seven times in the Bible with reference to God. All seven times they are used to declare God's ability to save his people.
1. "THOSE THAT WALK IN PRIDE HE IS ABLE TO ABASE" (Rom. ). God is able to abase chosen sinners by the dispensations of his providence (Psa. 107), as he did the prodigal son,by the convictions of his Spirit (John 16:8-13), and by the revelation of Christ (Isa. 6:1-6).
2. "WHAT HE HAS PROMISED HE IS ALSO ABLE TO PERFORM" (Rom. ). Our great God is able to perform all his covenant promises (Jer. 31:31-34; 32:37-40; II Tim. 1:9; Tit. 1:2), all his promises of redemption (Gen. 3:15), and all his promises of protection and provision. His name is "THE LORD WILL PROVIDE!"
3. "HE IS ABLE EVEN TO SUBDUE ALL THINGS UNTO HIMSELF" (Phil. ). He has subdued satan. He is able to subdue chosen sinners by his grace. He will subdue all things to his purpose. Therefore, he is able to perform the resurrection of our bodies.
4. "HE IS ABLE TO KEEP THAT WHICH I HAVE COMMITTED UNTO HIM" (II Tim.1:12). He is able to keep my immortal soul in grace.He is able to keep me from temptation and in temptation. He is able to keep me from falling and to keep me when I fall. He is able to keep me in faith, in Christ, and in sanctification (I Thess. ).
5. "HE IS ABLE TO SUCCOUR THEM THAT ARE TEMPTED" (Heb. ). Being touched with the feeling of our infirmities, the Son of God is able to help his tempted people with a sympathetic heart and an omnipotent arm.
6. "HE IS ABLE ALSO TO SAVE THEM TO THE UTTERMOST THAT COME TO GOD BY HIM" (Heb. ). By effectual atonement, infallible grace, and prevailing intercession Christ is able to save all who trust him.
7. "HE IS ABLE TO KEEP YOU FROM FALLING" (Jude 24). He is able to keep you from falling, though many do. He is able to present you faultless before the presence of his glory, though you are personally full of sin. And he is able to do so with exceeding joy, though it cost him great pain!