"My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee"
The Lord God has sworn with regard to all his people,"My kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed." Here are five blessings of that covenant that assure us of God's immutable kindness and grace toward us, five blessings of grace that make it absolutely impossible for God to ever be angry with or punish his covenant people.
1. THE SIN-ATONING BLOOD OF CHRIST (Gal.
3:13) - Those for whom the Son of God has made satisfaction, those whose debt
has been paid by the blood of Christ, cannot be punished for sin again.
"Payment God cannot twice demand, first at my bleeding Surety's hand, and
then again at mine!" If my sins were charged to Christ and he has put away
my sins, then no sin can ever be imputed to me (
2. THE IMMUTABILITY OF GOD'S SAVING GRACE (Mat. 3:6) - "The gifts and callings of God are without repentance." "He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ."
3. THE SEAL OF THE HOLY SPIRIT (Eph. 1:13) - Believing on the Lord Jesus Christ, God's saints have been sealed in grace by the anointing of the Holy Spirit which can never be broken, destroyed, or taken from them.
4. THE INDISSOLVABLE UNION BETWEEN CHRIST AND HIS PEOPLE (Eph. 5:30) - There is such a close, vital union between Christ our Head and all his people that if God's wrath ever fell upon any of his people it must also fall again upon Christ. That cannot happen!
5. THE EVERLASTING LOVE OF GOD (Eph. 1:4-5) - "The Father himself loveth you." He loved us from everlasting, without cause or condition. He loved us when there was nothing but sin in us, when he knew that we would never love him in return, except he cause us to love him. He loved us knowing full well all the corruption and sin that would be in us, with which we would so wickedly requite his love. It is therefore totally inconsistent with both Scripture and reason to imagine that our God would cease to love us now because of any evil that is in us.