A God Wrought Salvation
"Salvation is of the Lord!" No matter what aspect of salvation is under consideration, Jonah's words are applicable: "Salvation is of the Lord!" God the Father planned and purposed the salvation of his elect before the world began (Eph. 1:3-6). God the Son earned and purchased the salvation of all who were predestinated to the adoption of sons by his holy life and vicarious death as their Representative and Substitute (Eph. 1:7-12). God the Holy Spirit reveals God's salvation to every chosen, redeemed sinner, and works it in them by his almighty, irresistible grace (Eph. 1:13-14). In its planning, in its purchase, in its performance, in its preservation, and in its perfection, "Salvation is of the Lord!"
Every work that is in anyway associated with salvation is, throughout the Bible, ascribed to God. Nothing is ever ascribed to man but sin and unbelief. "Thou hast wrought all our works in us!"
1. REGENERATION, the new birth, is God's work (John 3:8; 6:63; James ).
2. CONVICTION, is the work of God the Holy Spirit (John 16:8-14).
3. REPENTANCE is the gift of God (Acts ; ; II Tim. ).
4. FAITH in Christ is something sinners must exercise; yet they can do so only by the gift and operation of God the Holy Spirit (Eph. 2:8; Col. 2:12).
5. SPIRITUAL UNDERSTANDING is the work and gift of God's grace (John -45; I John -27; ).
6. PERSEVERANCE is the result of God's preservation (Mal. 3:6; I Pet. 1:5).
7. GOOD WORKS, which every believer is responsible to maintain, are the results of God's grace (Eph. 2:8-10).
8. SPIRITUAL FRUIT is the produce of God the Holy Spirit (Gal. ).
Ours is a God wrought salvation! If God did not work all our works in us, we would all perish. But God, in his free and sovereign grace, has done for us what we could never do for ourselves. We gladly confess, "Salvation is of the Lord!" "Lord, thou hast wrought all our works in us!"