Listen to sermons at FreeGraceRadio.com
“Thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.”
What an utterly astounding statement! God’s name represents all his attributes and all his works. His name represents the totality of his infinite Being. Yet, the psalmist declares that he has magnified his Word above all his name.
Men may poke fun and make light of it until God casts them into hell, but this blessed Book is God’s Holy Word. It may not be important to you, but you better believe it is important to God! — “Forever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven” (Psalm 119:89). — “The word of our God shall stand forever” (Isaiah 40:8). — “Let God be true, and every man a liar!” God says, “My word shall not return to me void” (Isaiah 55:11).
All God’s works are by his Word: His Living Word, His Decreed Word, His Oral Word, His Written Word, or His Preached Word. The world was created by the Word of God. Heaven and earth are preserved and held in tact by the word of God. Christ is revealed by the Word of God. Men and women are convinced of sin by the Word of God. Faith is given by the Word of God. Comfort is administered by the Word of God. Saints are motivated, edified, protected, and ruled by the Word of God.
No wonder then that John wrote, “Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein” (Revelation 1:3).
1. The Word of God is the seed of spiritual life by which chosen, redeemed sinners are born again (Hebrews 4:12; James 1:18; 1 Peter 1:23-25).
2. The solitary basis of our faith is the Word of God (Romans 4:3, 20-22). — The Book of God is our only rule of faith and practice, our only creed, our only confession of faith.
3. The Word of God is the foundation of our hope (Psalm 119:49, 81, 114).
4. The Word of God will be the basis of judgment at the bar of God in the last day (John 12:47-50). In that great and terrible day God almighty will judge all men by the light of this blessed Book.
5. The Word of our God shall stand forever (Matthew 5:18; Numbers 23:19; Isaiah 46:9-11). — “The Word of our God shall stand forever” (Isaiah 40:8).
God almighty will do all his Word. God is as good as his Word. It will all be fulfilled. His word of predestination shall be accomplished. His word of grace shall be performed. His word of promise shall be fulfilled. And his word of judgment shall be executed.
The Lord God says, “To this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word” (Isaiah 66:2). This Book and this Book alone is able to make you wise unto salvation.